PhD student/research assistant (TVL-E13, 65%)
Das Aufgabengebiet umfasst u. a.:
The HRP-IAEA project (“Living with Radiation: The Role of the International Atomic Energy Agency in the History of Radiation Protection”) at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, funded by the European Research Council, is seeking a highly motivated doctoral candidate/research assistant for part-time employment (65%) for 3 years. Led by Professor Maria Rentetzi, HRP-IAEA explores the role of international organizations and especially of the International Atomic Energy Agency in regulating and standardizing radiation protection on a global scale. We focus especially on the IAEA’s technical assistance programs as a key post-war strategy for promoting the atom and supporting applications of civilian atomic energy worldwide; providing standards for use and safety; creating a nuclear order that could support the development of nuclear industry and medicine. The research is highly interdisciplinary and combines methods from history of science, international history, new diplomatic history, and science and technology studies. https://hrp-iaea.org The successful candidate will explore the historical role of the IAEA in standardizing and regulating the use of nuclear energy in the Global South. He/she is expected to pay attention to the nuclear order that the IAEA shaped in developing countries throughout the post-WWII period. Special attention is given to IAEA’s nuclear diplomacy in Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America.
• MA degree in history of science, technology or medicine; science and technology studies; political science or other associated fields.
• Prior experience of working in a team and of conducting interviews is essential
• Advanced computer skills are desirable
• Excellent command of written and spoken English
• Linguistic competence depending on the case study that will be proposed
Knowledge in motion is FAU’s motto. We at FAU therefore strive to generate knowledge to shape the future responsibly and openly share knowledge with all stakeholders in society to drive prosperity and create value, as well as using knowledge to improve our world for future generations.
To ensure equal opportunities between women and men, applications by women with the required qualifications are explicitly desired. Qualified individuals with disabilities will be favored. FAU values the diversity of its members and is committed to the goals of equal opportunities.
- Zeitliche Befristung: 3 years Befristungsgrund: befr. Forschungsvorhaben.
- Es handelt sich um eine Teilzeitstelle, 26 h/Woche; Arbeitszeit: nach Vereinbarung.
- Voraussichtlicher Einstellungstermin: 01.08.22.Die Bewerbungsfrist endet zum: 30.6.2022. Für Auskünfte steht Ihnen zur Verfügung:Prof. Dr. Rentetzi, MariaInstitut für Soziologie
Lehrstuhl für Science, Technology and Gender Studies Telefon +49 9131/ 85-26980, E-Mail: Maria.Rentetzi@fau.deDie Bewerbungen sind zu richten an:Your application should include in a single pdf file carrying your last name the following:• a brief cover letter explaining your research interests and your motivation for applying • a full curriculum vitae
• a research plan (c. 1,500 words) outlining your research project
• a writing sample• two letters of recommendation
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in early July 2022Please submit your application to Ms Lena Borke-Weber: Chair of Science, Technology and Gender Studies Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences and Theology Werner-von-Siemens-Str. 61D-91052 Erlangen Germany mailto:email@example.com